• 1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 large onion, chopped (reserve two tablespoons for garnish, if desired)
• 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 15 oz can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 15 oz. can organic whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
• 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 tablespoons chili powder
• 2-3 tablespoons dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Dash cayenne (to taste)
• 1-2 cups quinoa ( or brown rice) according to package directions to serve chili over or to mix it through .
• Tip: Try using vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor.
• Reserved chopped onion
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
• Shredded vegan cheese
Heat oil in large, heavy bottom soup-style pan. Cook onion and garlic about 5 minutes, making sure not to brown until onion is clear. Add 2 tablespoons oregano (crush with palms to release flavor). Stir with onion and garlic and cook another minute. Add in red kidney beans. Cook approx. 4 minutes, stirring and blending. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring all together. Add all remaining dry seasonings keeping in mind you can always adjust seasonings as you go. (Go light on the cayenne until you’ve given it the taste test.)
Simmer at low heat another 3-5 minutes. Add in black beans and corn, continue to simmer several more minutes, blending all together gently. Do this by stirring it into chili with a wooden spoon for several minutes, allowing it to dissolve. Continue to simmer and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, sugar, oregano, cayenne, etc. if needed.
Serve over or mix with quinoa (or brown rice) garnish with cilantro, onion, Vegan sour cream and/or cheese and serve with a nice green side salad full of fresh veggies.