Summer fruit is at its peak and what better way to enjoy it than in a delicious pie! Chef Morgan shares yet another fantastic recipe, this time for her vegan gluten-free pie crust. If you thought you needed the skills of a classically-trained pastry chef to create a beautiful dessert like this, think again! The recipe assembles quickly, doesn’t require rolling and you can use it for any of your favorite summer fruit pies!
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup gluten-free oats
- 3 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- ½ cup sweetener (agave, cane sugar, maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a food processor, add in walnuts and gluten-free all-purpose flour. Process until a fine flour forms.
- Add in sea salt and coconut oil. Process until well combined.
- Transfer mixture into a large bowl; add in oats and three tablespoons of water. Combine mixture until it forms a dough, adding in more water if necessary.
- Press dough evenly into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 15 minutes.
- Bake empty pie crust for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Combine the sweetener, cornstarch, water and sea salt. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved, or shake in a small jar with a lid.
- In a saucepan, add blueberries, coconut oil and cornstarch mixture. Heat over low-medium heat until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour blueberries into prepared pie shell and refrigerate until completely cooked and filling is set.