Makes 2 servings
Salads, and what you dress them with, are full of wonderful, nutritional ingredients that are vital to a healthy body. This recipe is a guide, but think about using up the odds and ends in the fridge. If you don’t have exactly what’s on the list, improvise! You could add some dinner leftovers, a can of chick peas, cooked lentils, nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, or beans for a protein punch.
These ingredients are basically the majority of my daily salad base. It is one of the ways you can get in most of your healthy, energizing whole foods daily. The toppings and protein choices may change but it will give you a consistent start to your lunch planning.
Make extra (keep avocados, onions, tomato’s, and dressing to the side and add in when ready to eat). Leave it in a covered storage bowl for another lunch or meal prep
- 4-6 cups fresh salad greens like romaine, butter lettuce, red-leaf lettuce, arugula, spinach, kale etc …chop it and mix it up!
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and diced (or use the whole avocado if you like!)
- 1/2 (or more) tomato, diced OR hand full chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Handful or two of shredded red and green cabbage (about ½-1 cup)
- 1/2 carrot, chopped or grated
- 3-4 chopped fresh basil sprigs
- 1-2 celery stalks chopped
- 4-5 chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
- ¼-1/2 cup chopped red onion or scallions
- Micro greens and or sprouts of your choice ( I love crunchy pea sprouts)
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds or almonds (spread on a baking sheet and roast at 300 for just a few minutes, they toast fast so keep an eye on them!) OR use them raw.
- Get a big salad bowl with lots of room. Add the lettuce, arugula, kale, tomato, and cucumber, celery, and whatever other veggies you’re playing with.
- Top with the micro greens, sprouts, avocado, carrot shavings, and herbs.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and nuts.
- Lightly salt & pepper if you like.
- Add in all your goodies (Plant Protein source, grains or other veg) Drizzle the dressing directly onto the salad and toss. Your super salad is ready for you!