From Michelle Obama's first book "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America"
Serves: 6 as a side dish
- 1 15 oz. can organic Cannellini beans or white kidney beans
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped shallots
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 5 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 cup crunchy fresh snow peas or sugar snap peas
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ tsp. of maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, and shallots. Whisk.
- Drain beans and toss gently 1/3 of the dressing.
- IN a small pot of boiling water, add in snap peas and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain, pat dry and slice thin.
- In a large bowl add in beans and crunchy vegetables and toss with remaining dressing.