You won’t believe how creamy this soup is. It is Plant-Based and so healthy, delicious and “creamy” without the cream! Full of fresh spinach,a potato and a bit of cashew creme ( oh yum) It’s sure to become one of your favorites and simple to make.
Approx 5 Cups
• 1/4 cup of cashews
• 1 large onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1-2 russet potatos peeled and cut into pieces
• 3 bay leaves
• 3-4 cups tightly packed spinach (washed, dried, stems removed)
• 3-4 cups cups organic vegetable broth
1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with 1 cup water. Set aside to soak for 30 minutes. Transfer the cashews and their soaking water to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy; this may take several minutes. Set aside.
2. In a soup pot, combine the broth, potato, onion, garlic and bay leaves and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer until the potato is very tender, about 15 minutes. Add the spinach and 1 cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat until the spinach leaves have wilted, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
3. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender or food processor, working in batches if necessary (do not overfill the blender), and puree until smooth. (Alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot until smooth.) Pour the soup back into the pot. Whisk in the cashew cream ( your desired amount) lemon juice, pepper, and salt to taste and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot.
This soup heats up well so you can enjoy it for a few days!
inspired by: Forks Over Knives