This is an easy to prepare, delicious healthy soup that everyone will love! Feel free to play around with vegetables you like ~ this recipe is a basic guide to create a hearty, warming, vegan soup.
- 1/2 to 1 whole butternut squash, diced (about 1 and 1/2 cups, use more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 large golden potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 yam or sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 green cabbage, diced/shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1-2 carrots, chopped into chunky bite-size pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Small white onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 32 ounces of low-sodium vegetable stock/broth OR use half vegetable stock and half water (about 15 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (or more to taste-use dried if you don’t have fresh available)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea-salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed soup pan on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, red pepper and sauté until translucent. (About 3-5 minutes, make sure not to “burn” onions.)
- Add all the vegetables, seasonings and veggie stock.
- Bring to a gentle boil then lower to a simmer.
- Cook until all the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Stir occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- Add cooked soup in portions to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add a little water or broth if needed.
- Top with fresh chopped basil, parsley, or cilantro