A quick and easy no-bake cookie that is free of refined flour and sugar, similar to Mexican Wedding Cookies.
Recipe by Detoxinista at http://detoxinista.com/2014/12/no-bake-pecan-snowballs-paleo-vegan/
- 1 cup pecan halves
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup soft Medjool dates, pitted (about 10 dates)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup arrowroot, or tapioca starch
- Extra arrowroot for dusting, or coconut sugar (see note below)
- Place the pecans and shredded coconut in a large food processor fitted with an "S" blade, and process until the pecans are broken down and crumbly. Add in the rest of the ingredients and process again, until a sticky dough is formed. (It should stick together when pressed between two fingers.)
- Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons and roll the dough between your hands, forming balls. Arrange the balls on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then place them in the freezer to set, about 1 to 2 hours. For a "snowball" look, roll the balls in additional arrowroot or tapioca starch-- just a light coating will do, since the starch will not enhance the flavor. It's just for looks!
- Store and serve these cookies in the fridge for best texture. They should keep well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks, though they didn't last nearly that long in our house before they were gobbled up!
If you'd prefer to roll the balls in coconut sugar or shredded coconut, roll them in one of those options before freezing, so the coating will stick better.